GMA Livestreaming: Thanks to mytvko

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Richard takes the backseat for mom

nag By Jerry Donato
Thursday, May 15, 2008

Richard Gutierrez is his generation’s matinee idol. He doesn’t mind playing support role, especially to his mom Annabelle Rama who is making a comeback via Regal Entertainment and GMA Films’ My Monster Mom, opposite real-life husband Eddie Gutierrez and only daughter Ruffa Gutierrez-Bektas.

Richard’s cameo in My Monster Mom is as irresistible as the Star Cinema movie where he co-stars with KC Concepcion. Besides, how can you say no to someone who bore you with utmost care for nine months and raises hell to come to your defense?

“It’s new and exciting,” says Richard of his latest family comedy movie. “I’m playing my dad. Actually, we share the same character. It’s a fun experience to work again with Rhian (Ramos) and direk Joey (Reyes). It is my first time to work with my ate, my dad and my mom. It’s not a dream movie but it is one I will cherish. My character’s appearance is short and minimal but it is fun.”

In My Monster Mom, Richard plays the young Waldo who is captivated by Esme’s beauty. As expected, he pursues the young lady until he wins her heart. Their love is blessed with a child named Abby who will be played by Ruffa when she turns out to be a cosmopolitan daughter of the older and wiser Waldo (Eddie) and Esme (Annabelle). The movie also revolves around the mother and daughter relationship of Abby and Esme as the latter reaches out to her Westernized child. My Monster Mom, says Richard, gives him the opportunity to see his parents and sister often and bond with them. It is also a breather from his hectic schedule. Also in the movie are JC de Vera, Mart Escudero, Bubbles Paraiso, Iwa Moto and Michelle Madrigal.

Although televiewers have seen GMA 7’s top male artist on telefantasya projects like Mulawin, Sugo, Captain Barbell and Kamandag, Richard makes sure he cooks up something different for his fans. One of his soon-to-be-released projects with GMA allows him to get involved creatively from writing the script to pre-production.

“I’ll play a normal human being this time around,” shares Richard. “It’s a love story with action. GMA executives give me the freedom to be involved and I can give suggestions on my character. Since I’ve been acting for years now, I think I know how the process works and what my audience wants.”

Is Richard afraid of getting stereotyped in action-fantasy TV series?

“That’s my momentum right now and I don’t want to break it,” he replies. “Drama scripts will always be there. While I’m still young and can do action scenes, I will do it. A lot of my fans want that, too.”

After five hit TV series and movies like Let the Love Begin, Mulawin The Movie, I Will Always Love You, The Promise and My Best Friend’s Wedding, Richard seems far from slowing down in exploring what he can offer. He couldn’t help but be thankful and look forward to better years in showbiz.

“I couldn’t ask for more,” says Richard who is now in Dubai to shoot his and Heart Evangelista’s opening scenes for Codename: Asero. “I’m working with the great minds, with the great network. They let me grow as an artist. There’s always pressure but I feel this is just the beginning.”

Part of Richard’s plans is to star in an indie movie and direct it. He says he wants to play an offbeat role which will challenge the actor in him. It might be the character that will give him his first acting award.

“I’m not rushing although it is one of my goals,” says Richard. “I’m just taking my time. The right project will come. (For my career) I’m open-minded about pairing with other actresses for as long as there’s chemistry. I don’t want to be tied down to just one leading lady. My career is constantly changing and so is my craft.”

Does his mom’s “monstrous” personality, meaning being strict and frank, work to his advantage?

“I don’t know. I’m not sure,” Richard answers. “She is always there for me. And I appreciate that. She’s been in the industry for so long and she knows the ins and outs. She loves me and my career.”

No comments: