GMA Livestreaming: Thanks to mytvko

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Friday, June 6, 2008

It started with a wild idea…

Article posted June 05, 2008

Who would have thought that two exclusive stars of rival film outfits would join forces for not one, but two big movies? You simply have to give it to GMA Films and Star Cinema for making their “wild idea” come true! Text by Jillian Q. Gatcheco. Photos by Vic Eyatid.

It’s official!

Last May 22, iGMA got word that KC Concepcion was in the house. But why would an ABS-CBN contract star be in GMA?

starsTurns out it’s official: she was here to sign her GMA Films contract for a Valentine’s Day movie with primetime King Richard Gutierrez! For the opening speech of the contract signing, GMA Films president Ms. Annette Gozon-Abrogar announced to the Press that the movie will be written and directed by Joey Reyes. She adds, “Welcome KC, we’re very happy that you gave us an opportunity to work with you. And syempre si Richard is our Valentine King! So this time iba naman yung queen niya—si KC!”

Richard and KC did look like a king and queen in their matching blue formal outfits during the event held at the Network’s 16th floor conference room. “Its such a memorable and unforgettable experience because KC is joining us here in GMA,” Richard starts off. “Ako yung nauna sa ABS noong isang araw at ngayon naman siya yung nandito sa GMA. Noong isang araw ako yung kinakabahan, tapos sabi niya ngayon, siya naman ang kinakabahan! So thank you for this moment, thank you for giving us this chance and this opportunity to work together. It’s a wild idea, [but] we made it happen. And of course KC, thank you. I’m super excited for this movie.”

The well-spoken pair was a delight to watch, especially since one couldn’t quite shoot down the possibility of a budding romance between them. They were, after all, very sweet and familiar with each other.

When it was KC’s turn to speak, she also thanked everyone who made the project possible. “I’m really happy that ABS-CBN lent me to GMA. I wouldn’t have had the guts to go and take the last step and the last push, to you know, make this project more possible [if it weren’t for all of you].”

Of course, Richard got a special mention from the mestiza beauty: “Thanks, Chard, for giving me your support and encouragement and convincing me that you were the right leading man! I don’t know if that was hard or not so hard to do, but anyway, we’re here and thank you for making things happen also. I [also] need to thank my mother station ABS for hearing us out, because it was teamwork. It was really a dance. I’m happy that the two members have come together somehow to make things happen.”

The contract

Ms. Annette explains the deal that GMA Films has worked out with Star Cinema, where KC is a contract star.

“What we wanted in the first place was a co-production to make it a really big event, parang ‘Ooh, two film outfits of different Networks joined together to have one big team.’ Kaya lang, hindi natuloy yun, but because of Richard and KC, they really wanted to have this movie, and because of the clamor for their team-up, then nakiusap lahat ng taong involved, and of course, hinihintay talaga ng buong Philippines na magkaroon sila ng movie.”

“We decided to just have two movies, kasi yun yung suggestion nila. The first movie is under Star Cinema, then the second movie will be under GMA Films. Syempre, along the way, nagkaroon ng mga negotiations on kung ano yung terms sa mga waiver, since Richgard and KC are exclusive film stars of GMA Films and Star Cinema. Syempre, in all contracts, may negotiations. Nagkaroon ng kaunting glitches, but as you see, we signed [already], we have the waiver from Star Cinema, so all’s well that ends well.”

The first movie under Star Cinema will be released in August 2008, allegedly under the direction of Bb. Joyce Bernal. The second film, which will be directed by Joey Reyes, is set to air on February 11 as a Velentine’s Day offering. It will be co-produced with Regal Entertainment, like Richard’s past four Valentine flicks (Let The Love Begin, I Will Always Love You, The Promise, and My Bestfriend's Girlfriend).

A few words from direk

“I feel so old because I saw these two actors really grow up literally in front of my eyes,” direk Joey fondly recalls. “And I feel so young because I’m going to do what I love doing best—a love story which is so light for me, celebrating not only youth, but life and the world itself.”

stars“I chose to work in GMA Films because GMA was the first to offer me this project last year. And I respect my word, so I’m here in GMA, so happy and so proud to be working not only with everybody here in GMA, but most especially because I am going to be working with two young people who are very close to my heart now, KC and Richard.”

The movie will be tentatively called When I Met You, the title of the APO Hiking Society hit which will also be its theme song.

When asked how romantic the movie will be, direk Joey exclaimed, “Ay sobra!”

“My God, we have two of the most beautiful young people in the country today and you’re going to take them to various beautiful venues!” he adds. “Talagang manigas ka sa romance! Tapos Valentine’s pa! Let’s put it this way, it is very dangerous to those with diabetes!”

How will he treat the romantic scenes?

“It is not going to be one of those hampasan ng lobo at sundutan ng bulaklak movies,” he answers, mocking the stereotypical scenes of teenybopper flicks. “It’s going to be very, very real, very contemporary, but something very appropriate to people of their age.”

Here’s a spoiler: rumor has it that this will be the first time that Richard will sing onscreen!

Working with each other

How are KC and Richard getting along so far?

starsKC shares, “Si Chard kasi, komportable ako sa kanya—our families know each other and we’re good friends, and we’re very close [in terms of our] age. He’s only a year older than me, and [among] all the leading men that we were thinking of, I guess Chard and I made the youngest pair. Not only is he young, but at our age, he’s done so much—so much more than I have. I have respect for him as an actor, and as somebody who’s been in the industry longer than I have. So in that sense, we’re a young, fun, team, and yet, he has the heart of someone who’s been here a long, long time. So I’m very excited.”

A member of the press asked KC if she’s willing to do a TV series with Richard on GMA--Captain Barbell Meets Darna, to be exact.


“Well, it’s a big part of Pinoy pop culture, so who wouldn’t want to be part of that history?” she replies with a big smile. Then she looks at Richard and says, “Kung okay lang kay Chard, e!”

Ever the dashing leading man that he is, Richard replies, “It would be a dream come true.”

No comments: