GMA Livestreaming: Thanks to mytvko

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Kamandag’s Secrets
Article posted March 10, 2008

Portraying a half-man, half-snake hero is not an easy feat, but who else is more apt to play the role than the Primetime King himself, Richard Gutierrez! Not new to demanding fights scenes and stunts, Richard seems to take everything in stride and amazes everybody with his performance as the hero of Carlo J. Caparas’ Kamandag. Curious what makes Richard so effective and successful in his craft? Read on and find out Kamandag’s secrets. Text by Loretta G. Ramirez

The making of an action hero

Loyal viewers of Kamandag will attest to the impressive fight sequences and action scenes that they are presented with every night. It is evident that the cast and staff have given a lot of thought to how they will give the viewers something different from the usual telefantasya series. Aside from the classic storyline by the infamous Carlo J. Caparas and the animals in the show, the production made sure that everybody is well-prepared with the kind of work they are faced with.
stars











Richard Gutierrez who plays a dual role (Vergel and Kamandag) had to psyche himself to prepare himself from the physical demands of the show.

“I had prepared for Kamandag for more than a month and that consisted of different kinds of workouts. First, I concentrated on my cardio because I wanted to be prepared for all the physical activities that are going to be part of the show,” shares the slithering hero.

And of course, who can forget the participation of the UFC fighter Brandon Vera who came all the way from the United States to train Richard for two weeks.

“I am so thankful na tinanggap nya 'yung offer and he enjoyed it and nakakatawa kasi 'yung sister pala nya updated sa showbiz and kilala pala ako. So ayun, hindi kami nahirapan na kunin sya, isang email lang then he replied right away. When he got here, we trained for two weeks, everyday,” describes Richard about his experience with Brandon Vera.

The challenge

Not new to playing a super hero role, Richard and the production of Carlo J. Caparas’ Kamandag had to think of something that would differentiate his character from Lupin, Captain Barbell and Aguiluz.


Working with real snakes was one of their ideas. It did make the show more exciting plus the fact that it added the element of reality in this fantasy series. But what does Richard have to say about this bold move of his production?

“I am not saying that I am not afraid of them and I am not saying that I am comfortable with them. It is part of my job and I trust the people around me,” confesses Richard.

He further describes his experience with the snakes as one of the most challenging part of the role.

“I trust the people that I work with and sabi naman nila na you know it is harmless, it is non-venomous, but syempre during the moment when I had like around ten snakes on me syempre kinakabahan ako. If I am handling one snake in my hand, that is fine, but when I have like 10 snakes on me, that is a different thing,” confides Richard.

He goes on saying that he has to focus on the scene and psyche himself to stay calm every time he has a sequence that requires him to work with snakes. Thus, Richard’s dedication to this project is lauded by everyone. Without a doubt this young actor took up the challenge and passed with flying colors.

No comments: