GMA Livestreaming: Thanks to mytvko

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Thursday, January 17, 2008



From rivals to partners
By Bayani San Diego Jr.
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:03:00 01/16/2008

MANILA, Philippines—If you were to believe the chismis columns, Richard Gutierrez was upset with GMA 7, which was perceived to be favoring “Marimar” over his own show “Kamandag.”

Before his mom Annabelle Rama could throw one of her infamous hissing fits, Richard was promptly paired with Marian Rivera, star of “Marimar,” in a new Valentine movie.

In an exclusive interview with Inquirer Entertainment, Richard and Marian denied the scuttlebutt.

Before Richard could say a word, however, Marian jokingly threatened him with clenched fists: “Magpakaayos ka! (You’d better behave!)”

The above scene might as well be a preview of the on- and off-screen chemistry of the stars of the new GMA Films-Regal flick, “My Best Friend’s Girlfriend.”

Director Mark Reyes related that the pair hit it off well from the start: “Richard and Marian found working on a romantic comedy a refreshing break from the intense drama scenes of ‘Kamandag’ and ‘Marimar.’”

Reyes recounted that the pair would often tease each other on the set.

The rapport is also pretty obvious in these on-set photos.

Is it true that you got jealous because GMA 7 seemed to be favoring “Marimar” over “Kamandag”?

Richard Gutierrez: That’s not true.

Marian Rivera: You better answer properly!

RG: I’m glad that “Marimar” is doing well. I’m happy because, in GMA 7, we work as one unit.

MR: Each soap affects the show following it. We’re all connected. We help pull each other up. For us, what’s important is not the ratings, that “Marimar” rated 40 (percent) and “Kamandag,” 39. For us, what is crucial is that we please the viewers.

RG: And that all the shows on GMA 7 are being watched by the intended audiences.

What was your reaction when you learned that Marian would be your new partner?

RG: I got excited, of course.

MR: Echosero (You’re pulling my leg). He didn’t want to work with me. He preferred another girl. Joke lang.

What was your reaction when you learned of your movie with Richard?

MR: I also got surprised and excited to have a new leading man. I always learn something new with every person I work with.

RG: Really? What did you learn from me?

MR: Do you really want me to reveal what I learned about you (laughs)?

RG: Never mind.

What was your first impression of Marian?

RG: I first met her on the set of (the GMA 7 Sunday variety show) SOP two years ago. I’ve always thought she was beautiful.

MR: He was always nice to me. Always smiling at me and greeting me—even before “Marimar.” Once on SOP, he told me: “You’re becoming prettier now.” So I asked him: “Why? Was I ugly before?”

What did you find out about Richard?

MR: That he is maalaga (caring). On the set, he kept asking me if I were hungry. So I tested him once. I told him I was craving pancakes. He actually asked someone to buy pancakes for me.

What do you plan to give Richard on his birthday (Jan. 21)?

MR: One box of Fit ’n’ Right (the juice drink they are both endorsing). Apple flavor (laughs).

RG: I’ll give her Pineapple flavor naman on her birthday (Aug 12).

After working on this movie, what did you learn about Marian?

RG: I realized that she’s hardworking. From “Marimar,” she went straight to our set. Even if she lacked sleep, she remained focused and full of energy. I also discovered that she likes singing even if singing doesn’t like her (laughs).

MR: We had a shoot in a bar once. Since I was in a private room, I thought other people wouldn’t hear my voice. When I got out, they kept teasing me: “God is really fair. He didn’t give you everything.”

RG: She got high scores on the videoke machine. That was the shocking part!

No comments: